I’ve already written several post on SEO and how you can better and easily rank your website higher on Google. One of such post is the Ultimate guide to ranking your business website or blog in Nigeria.
Another is WordPress SEO plugins to rank your business website and blog post in Nigeria, to mention but a few.
So why this new post on On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020) ?
Well, most of my other post have focused on an overall Search Engine Optimization (SEO) implementation detail. That is overall Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies that surely work. This post is focused on On-page SEO checklist strategies.
- So why this new post on On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020) ?
- Dealing with On page SEO – Ranking your webpage higher on Google and other search engines
- Before you implement On page SEO, know this:
- Check out one of Google’s On page SEO guidelines for websites below:
- In implementing On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020), know this:
- On page SEO Checklist 1 : Write about relevant topics
- On page SEO Checklist 2 : Do good keyword research and use relevant keyword especially Long tail keywords in your post
- On page SEO Checklist 3 : Page and URL information
- On page SEO Checklist 4 : Use power word or emotional words in your page title
- On page SEO Checklist 5 : Use your keyword in your page Meta description
- On page SEO Checklist 6 : Your post or page text must be readable
- On page SEO Checklist 7 : Images and multimedia to increase engagement
- On page SEO Checklist 8 : Use outbound links
- On page SEO Checklist 9 : Use internal links
- On page SEO Checklist 10 : Use original images in your post
- On page SEO Checklist 11 : Write detail and comprehensive content
- On page SEO Checklist 12 : Boost your webpage loading speed
- On page SEO Checklist 13 : Optimize your post for voice search
- On page SEO Checklist 14 :Use table of content
- On page SEO Checklist 15 : Add structured data markup
- On page SEO Checklist 16 : Add Social sharing plugins
- On page SEO Checklist 17 : Make your website mobile responsive
These On-page SEO checklist strategies are useful for those looking to learn On-page SEO or improve specific website rankings or the entire website content ranking like I ranked for SEO for real estate in Nigeria.
Dealing with On page SEO – Ranking your webpage higher on Google and other search engines
For many people I have come in contact with people, who wants to increase their search rankings especially on Google, inclusive of my students and clients, the biggest issue they have had to dealt with or are still dealing with is where to start on an existing site that has lost its rankings, thereby resulting into lost of visitors to your business website or blog.
Indirectly, no website traffic is directly equal to no leads and no leads certainly equals no conversion. When there is no conversion, it directly means no money making. Yes no profit making for you.
Well, we’ve all been there. Yes! I have been there, and the scenario is somewhat like this: Everything is going really well with your site, and the post and pages are ranking very high whenever you post and continue to rank even after that. Always appearing in between the first and tenth list on Google’s first page search listings.
Then you wake up one day, check your website dashboard, and discovered there have been no traffic to any of your post or pages.
No one is visiting your website anyone, not because your website doesn’t appear on search listings anymore, but because it is no longer appearing on Google’s first page listings, not even the second or third, or below that too.
In fact, your Google traffic and rankings have been wiped out. Then that scream came forth from you. What!
Still sitting and staring at your laptop’s screen, mouth open and anger or disappointment spreading through your soul and body, you ask yourself, What do I do now?
Damn, what do I do now?
This post on On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020) got you covered
No worries, I got you covered in this post. This post will take you by the hand and guide you through a complete On page SEO Checklist – step by step guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria.
This On page SEO Checklist guide will objectively guide you to identify and fix any issue related to On page SEO on your website.
It’s the same On page SEO Checklist that I teach my student’s and implement for my clients.
Before you implement On page SEO, know this:
Now, before I go on, I must mention that Google is the master and king of Search Engines and you must always do what Google wants in order to make sure your website is ranking high on Google. You can read about Google’s webmasters guidelines here.
Check out one of Google’s On page SEO guidelines for websites below:
“Even if you choose not to implement any of these suggestions, we strongly encourage you to pay very close attention to the “Quality Guidelines,” which outline some of the illicit practices that may lead to a site being removed entirely from the Google index or otherwise impacted by an algorithmic or manual spam action.”
I really do advise that you take this statement seriously because Google will remove or penalize your site if they catch you carrying out any activities that is not recommended by them or spelt out in the Google’s Webmasters guidelines.
Google went as far as making sure that website’s webmasters can report one another if they notice any other website trying to dodge Google’s radar. Check out this statement from Google:
“If you believe that another site is abusing Google’s quality guidelines, please let us know by filing a spam report.”
The above phrase is linked to a form for whoever is laying the complaint to fill. Now, Google is trying to get other webmasters to report websites that ignore the guidelines or shady techniques.
Do you know what this means? It means that your competitors can report your site if they see you doing something to cheat the search engine system. So, beware!
In implementing On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020), know this:
There are a number of factors that Google considers when determining Page
Importance. Some of such factors include but not limited to:
- Page title
- Page description
- Length of Page title
- Meta description
- URL information
• Page rank
• Type of page or file
• Internal page rank
• Number and type of internal links
• Number of external links
• Relevance and quality of content
• Update frequency
• Source codes and website quality
When you optimize your webpages for all of these factors, you’ll be able to increase the Page Importance of your page and help Google understand which pages of your website take first priority when searchers search for relevant information that may be contained on your site.
What exactly is On page SEO Checklist for business website and blog in Nigeria?
On-page SEO covers all of the actions that you can carry out on a given post or page to improve SEO performance. These actions are meant to affect each page individually, rather than the site as a whole. Though it will tell on your entire website in the long run.
On-page elements include the page content itself as well as meta elements in the page’s source code that are used by search engines to obtain information about the page.
That said, below are the list of the top On page SEO checklist for fixing your post or pages that are not currently ranking, which of course you want to rank.
Remember that even though you are not able to implement all the points in this On page SEO checklist, implementing most of them will have a huge positive impact on your post ranking on Google and other search engine.
Now lets start implementing the On-page SEO checklist
On page SEO Checklist 1 : Write about relevant topics
- Make sure to write about relevant topics in your industry
- Make sure to research your competitors to know what they are writing about
- Make sure to write from your point of view in order to stand out from your competitors
Use tools such as Google trend to find out the current trending topic in your niche
On page SEO Checklist 2 : Do good keyword research and use relevant keyword especially Long tail keywords in your post
- Make sure to use keyword research tool for your keyword research.
- Make sure to include your keyword in your headers especially header 1
- Make sure your keyword appears in the first 10 percent test of your page content
- Make sure your keywords appear in your meta description
- Make sure your keywords appear in your title description
- Make sure your keywords appear at the last paragraph of your post or page content.
- Gently sprinkle your keywords in your post content. Ensuring it does not surpass two percent of your content
Tools to use for your keyword research abounds on the internet. A completely free tool that you can use is Wordtracker.
On page SEO Checklist 3 : Page and URL information
- Make sure your target keyword for the page or post in in your URL
- Make sure your URL is short. Always aim for characters not more than sixty (60)
- Make sure your post or page is indexable
- Make sure to use hyphen to separate words you use in your URL
On page SEO Checklist 4 : Use power word or emotional words in your page title
- Make sure to include words such as best, guide, checklist, top, ultimate, e.t.c in your post title alongside your long tail keyword
- Make sure to use the power words before or after your keyword. Especial within a bracket or after an hyphen.
See an example of a power word I used in one of my post, and this has made it rank higher on Google.
Note that you can’t use Yoast SEO alongside RankMath. You just have to choose one.
On page SEO Checklist 5 : Use your keyword in your page Meta description
- Make sure to include your keyword once in your meta description
- Make sure what you want Google to display as your post description appears in the first paragraph of your post content. Google may ignore your meta description and use the one that they think its best.
- Keep your post description brief
- Make sure you write a good meta description for your post.
You can install a WordPress SEO plugin such as RankMath ( see RankMath review here) to help you out with optimizing your keyword in your meta description (WordPress users only). RankMath will notify you if you are using your keyword phrase in your meta description or not.
This image shows:
- that the keyword phrase of the chosen post sample is SEO for e-commerce website in Nigeria
- Shows the keyword phrase appearing n the post’s meta description
- The post shows a score of 100 over 100
- You can search for the keyword phrase “SEO for e-commerce website in Nigeria” and see where this post appears on Google’s first page listings
On page SEO Checklist 6 : Your post or page text must be readable
- Make sure to make your content readable
- Use bullet points or numbered lists to list your points
- Use fonts sizes that are easily readable
- Make sure to break your text into shorter paragraphs
- Make sure to check your text content for spelling errors
- Make sure to include your targeted keyword in header 1, 2 and 3
You can install a WordPress SEO plugin such as RankMath to help you out with optimizing your post paragraphs, headers, and bullet list (WordPress users only).
On page SEO Checklist 7 : Images and multimedia to increase engagement
- Make sure to include images in your content
- Make sure to include videos in your content
- Make sure to include infographics in your content
- Make sure to use Alt description on your images and infographics
- Make sure your images, infographics and video file sizes are reduced for faster loading speed.
You can install a WordPress SEO plugin such as RankMath to help you out with optimizing your post images and multimedia (WordPress users only). RankMath will notify you if you are using an image or multimedia in your post and if an Alt description is included.
- Make sure to include outbound links in your content
- Make sure to use relevant outbound links.
- Make sure your link anchor test is relevant to the content of link landing page
- Make sure to link to at least two resources on the internet that are relevant to your post content
You can install a WordPress SEO plugin such as RankMath to help you out with optimizing your post for outbound links. (WordPress users only). RankMath will notify you if you have any outbound link or links in your web post.
Download the FREE On-Page SEO Checklist: The 17 Ultimate Guide For Fixing On-Page SEO Problems on your website in Nigeria (2020). This FREE guide is specifically meant for optimizing your blog post or page content
- Make sure to include internal links.
- Make sure your link anchor test is relevant to the content of link landing page you are linking to on your website.
- Make sure to link to at least two other posts or pages on your website that are relevant to the post content
Like the outbound link, RankMath will notify you if you have any internal link or links in your web post.
On page SEO Checklist 10 : Use original images in your post
- Make sure to include only original images.
- Make sure to stay away from stock images that others are also using on their website or post.
- Make sure that if you want to use someone’s else image, use ones that are really free, which you can get from a website such as Pixabay.
On page SEO Checklist 11 : Write detail and comprehensive content
- Make sure to write detail content that are comprehensive.
- Make sure your post covers the topic you are writing entirely
- Make sure your post length is not less than two thousand (2.000).
- Make sure to use LSI is your post content.
You can use RankMath to determine your post length and detail.
On page SEO Checklist 12 : Boost your webpage loading speed
- Make sure your post or website is loading fast
- Make sure you are using a faster host to host your website
- Make sure to consider factors that may hinder fast loading for both mobile and desktops.
You can use a tool like Pingdom test to check your post loading speed.
On page SEO Checklist 13 : Optimize your post for voice search
- Make sure you optimize your post for voice search
- Make sure you are using FAQ page in your post as this is good for optimizing your post or web pages for Google voice search.
- Make sure you optimize your FAQ with your keyword phrase
You can install WordPress Ultimate FAQ plugin to handle your FAQ
On page SEO Checklist 14 :Use table of content
- Make sure to use table of content in your post
- Make sure to use headings 1 (HI) to heading (H4), and if you can use up to heading (H6), you are good to go. Your table of contents will make use of the headings and sub-headings automatically to create the contents in the table for your specified post.
You can use use a WordPress table of content plugin like CM Table Of Contents to create a unique table of content for each post on your website. Its not difficult to use. Just install and activate and it automatically shows the table of content for your blog post. Unless you turn it off.
On page SEO Checklist 15 : Add structured data markup
- Make sure to install structured data markup as this adds extra code that helps search engine recognize specific content on your post or entire website. This will also serve as a leverage for your Local SEO optimization.
You can use use a WordPress Schema plugin like All in one Schema plugin to create a unique Schema information for each post on your website (WordPress site only).
On page SEO Checklist 16 : Add Social sharing plugins
- Make sure to install social sharing links.
- Make sure you only install the social sharing links you know your target audience are using
- Make sure your social sharing link buttons are immediately below your post.
You can use use a WordPress Social Sharing plugin like Social Media Share Buttons to each post on your website to create attractive and optimized social sharing buttons (WordPress site only).
On page SEO Checklist 17 : Make your website mobile responsive
- Make sure to make your website mobile responsive as more searchers are searching the internet on their mobile device
- Make sure to use a tool such as Google mobile responsiveness checker or responsive design checker to confirm if your site is mobile responsive.
- Make sure to use a mobile responsive WordPress theme for your site.
You can use install a WordPress plugin such as AMP to make your website mobile responsive.
Here at the end of everything, just kidding, at the end of this post On page SEO Checklist : The 17 ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020), I will love to hear from you. Please take out the time to share with me the techniques you have implemented among the ones I have listed in this post.
You can also download a PDF copy of this post here, so you will have a copy handy anytime you want to optimize a post you recently created or the ones from the past. For a comprehensive list of WordPress SEO to aid your Website SEO, visit here
I tell you with certainty that every On page SEO checklist point listed above will certainly help you rank higher on search engines especially Google, because they are the same I use for my own personal post just like the one you are reading now: (On page SEO Checklist : The 17 ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria (2020)).
Therefore, the ball is in your court if you want to implement them all or just few of them. If you don’t have the time for carrying out the implementation, then I advise you consider an SEO Consultant or checkout how much it cost to implement an SEO on your website.
Remember that page load speed we also tell on your On page SEO implementation, but using the right WordPress SEO theme for your website can make a huge positive impact on your site page load speed and your overall On page SEO checklist tasks. Watch video below to see the best WordPress SEO theme you should use for your overall website design.
Does my overall on-site Search Engine Optimization (SEO) affect my On-Page SEO?
Yes it does. Your page is part of your website and all SEO action performed on the website will have either a positive or a negative effect on a post or page published by you.
I strongly advise against this. The H1 tag primarily exist for search engines to identify what your post is all about. Having multiple H1 tags will definitely throw search engines into confusion especially if the several H1 tags have different descriptions.
Certainly you can, but I prefer at the end of my post content.
Will this list of On-Page SEO checklist make my post rank higher ?
Yes. I have carefully included all the checklist point above. All checklist above are what I personally use to rank my post high on Search Engines. If they work for me, they should also work for you. Unless, if you didn’t implement it right.
Is it compulsory I use images, video and infographics on my post page?
I advised strongly that you use at least one of each. Or a combination of two. They exist to increase users engagement on your post, which can have a positive effect on your page post in the eyes of Search Engines, especially Google.
Is it compulsory that my H1 header tag be short ?
Yes it is, a least for the sane reason that search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo will clip of any header title test above 70 characters. Your H1 tag title must be between 20 to 70 characters. If it longer than this, you are diluting the power inherent in using H1 tag.
No. Not at all. But I advised you keep it below 170 characters
Thank you for reading my post on On page SEO Checklist : The ultimate guide for fixing On-page SEO problems on your website in Nigeria in (2020). Please do not forget to share with friends, family members and colleagues because some out there may need the information contained in this post.
Johnson Omoregie is an SEO specialist/Website Developer/ SEO Copywriter/Content Developer. He eats and sleeps Search Engine Optimization (SEO)/Digital Marketing. And help business generate leads and conversions through Organic Traffic. He is the author of Business Profit Blueprint: Million Dollar Tips To Promote Your Business And Increase Profit.