Keyword Research 2021 in Nigeria – The Exclusive guide to doing keyword research the right way in Nigeria for Nigerian businesses websites: Just in case you didn’t know or if you are new to SEO, Keyword research is the first and most important stage of every SEO project you will ever embark on.
You may ask me why, well worry not, have got two answers for you. They are:
- If you rank your site highly for the wrong keywords, you can end up spending a whole lot of time and effort, only to discover the keyword you have targeted doesn’t receive any traffic. Definitely wasted effort is bad for your business.
- If you haven’t investigated the competitiveness of your keywords and analyzing what your competitors are currently ranking for, you can end up investing lots of time and effort into a particular keyword, only to find it is far too competitive to rank, even on the first page for you. Another wasted effort which is bad for your business.
- What are Keywords? What is Keyword Research?: Keywords Meaning
- Types of Keywords for your Content Writing Exercise
- Head Term Keywords
- Informational Keywords
- Long Tail Keywords
- Transactional Keywords
- Without keyword research, there will be no SEO. Why?
- How do you find keywords?
- How do search engine find keywords on your content page
- Keyword Crawling in Keyword Research
- Considering Long Tail Keywords
- Free Keywords Research Tools you can use for your keyword research
What are Keywords? What is Keyword Research?: Keywords Meaning
- Keywords are the search terms you and I type into Google search bar on your browser like Google Chrome, Opera Mini or Edge when hunting down information on the World Wide Web.
- Keywords, or their use on your website determine how visible your website is, and how much traffic it generates.
- Keywords are ideas and topics that define what your content is about. They are the words or phrases that searchers enter into search engines.
- Keywords, also called “search queries.” It is what you as a content writer base your written content on, because your content is developed around the phrase or words.
A Challenge for most people that are involved in SEO, Keyword Research and content writing is knowing searchers intent as well as having a common goal of providing searchers with results that are relevant to their queries.
Therefore, a crucial element to building an online marketing strategy around Keywords, content writing and targeted organic search visibility is understanding your audience and how they think about, discuss, and search for your services, products, and brand.
As a content developer, you need to understand that search engines are tools, they are resources driven by intent towards a content destination. A searcher using the search box (Google, Bing, Yahoo) is fundamentally different from entering a URL into the browser’s address bar, clicking on a bookmark, or clicking on a link to go to a website.
Searches are performed with intent – the user wants to find specific information, rather than just land on it by chance; search is also different from “browsing,” or clicking around links on a web page. Because of this specificity, search traffic is generally of higher value to SEO and your content development than these other types of web traffic.
Types of Keywords for your Content Writing Exercise
There are four categories of keywords you can make use of in your SEO Copywriting exercise. They are:
- Head Term Keywords
- Informational keywords
- Long Tail keywords
- Transactional keywords
Head Term Keywords
Head term keywords are keywords that are short and contain just one or two keywords. These types of keyword are really highly competitive and ranking for them may actually be a dream, note that I didn’t say impossible, I said “might be”. But, if your website is an authority site, then you are good to go.
Examples of head term keywords include but not limited to: best shoe, finest beacon, affordable rice.
My candid advice is that you do not try ranking for head key words because of their very competitive nature.
Informational keywords are keyword types that are used to discover information on a specific subject.
Depending on the niche, informational keywords often have great search volume. However, because they are informational in nature, they are not very good at conversion.
Informational keywords are usually preceded with phrases such as:
Long Tail Keywords
Long tail keywords are more like phrases, or sentences. These types of keywords are very specific and targeted.
For instance, using our rice example, an example of a long tail keyword would be “How to cook Jollof rice with ginger.” Because they are specific, and users using them to search for information are specific about the information they are searching for.
Long tail keywords are the types of keywords I would advise you try to rank for. They are actually the best keywords to rank for because they drive targeted traffic.
Transactional keywords are the types of keywords that searchers who have the intent to purchase a product or services use. They use these as their search queries because they are looking to make a purchase.
Thus, on top of being targeted keywords, these types of keywords are ideal converters, and thus ideal for commercial or affiliate sites.
Transactional keywords may contain words and phrases such as
- for sale
- Or any other phrase indicating someone with the intent to make a purchase.
Using the right keywords during keyword research
Effective Content Development requires more than just finding a bunch of keywords and adding them to your content. It also requires a strong understanding of what people want and what they are searching for online not what you want them to search for.
But keyword research does not have to be difficult. In fact, anyone that has a website can do it and start benefiting from increased search engine traffic.
Without keyword research, there will be no SEO. Why?
Keywords are the cornerstones of SEO. And, trying to promote a website without having the right keywords will bring no results.
Keyword is a word that people type in Google, Yahoo! or other Search Engine to look for products or services that they need and that you offer.
To optimize website content, think about what people will think and type into the Google search bar to locate your post or site when that person is searching for your product or services. Google goes further to help you in your keyword research endeavor by displaying related search term (Search phrases that have been used by people and are related to your own current search). You can also write them down as part of your keyword phrases list.
How do you find keywords?
You should know that a search prospect example goes like this:
John wants to buy a new android phone and makes a query in Google, typing in “buy new android phones in Nigeria”.
Now, if he sees your site at the very top of the Google Search Engine′s results page, this means that you rank first for the keyword headphones.
Most searchers believe the first 3 sites that show up during a search are the most relevant and genuine. Though it is often not the case.
Also, it means that John is much more likely to visit your site and buy from it, than from a competitor′s site that has a #4 ranking.
Worst still is if your site does not appear among the first 10 sites shown on Google’s Search Engine Result Page (SERP).
John can make queries using one or several words, like, buy cheap android, cheap phones in Lagos or affordable phones in Nigeria.
Terms for query that contain several words are sometimes called key-phrases. So, affordable phones are a two-keyword key-phrase.
So to get a #1 placement or appear on the first page on Search Engines Listings (SERPS), the first and the most important step is to choose the right keywords and key-phrases for which you want to rank for.
What these mean is that you need key-phrases that convert. The narrower the search term you target, the greater part of visitors convert into real customers.
You need to know what keywords to assign to each page or post content in order to:
- Focus the page content.
- Make it faster for the viewer to understand the content.
- Make it easier for a search engine spider to determine what each page is about.
Now let’s at the basic process for keyword research:
At this point, you have to exercise your brains a while. So get ready, it′s time for brainstorming.
- To start with, make a list of every word or phrase you can think of that people might use to find what your site or content offers.
- Ask anyone you can to give you ideas, you never guess what alternatives your friends and family members can offer, assuming you are into food wholesale. See samples of a list below:
- Grocery store
- Buy food stuff online
- Buy grocery online
- Best online food stuff platform in Nigeria
- Grocery store near me
- Food stuff platform near me
- Even if you have a list of single words, think of key-phrases. Try to combine the words you have on your list, or add other relevant words that better describe your product or service.
- Again, ask your friends and family members for input and try to find people that are within your site′s target audience to get an idea of how they would search.
- Also, take into consideration variations in terminology as determined by one′s age, profession, what part of the world they are from, and so on.
- Remember that there are often several ways of saying the same thing.
- Now you need to make a list of your top five competitors. For each of these five competitors, I need you to answer the following questions:
- What are their business goals?
- What is their content strategy?
- What is their brand strategy?
- Who is their audience?
- What is their advertising strategy?
- What are their problems?
- Are there opportunities for me?
- Get a paper and a pen or better still make use of your spreadsheet software, whichever is convenient for you to table your answers.
- It’s always very sensible and useful to localize your keywords. For instance, a lady from Lagos won′t just type in “boneless beef” when searching on Google or Bing or Yahoo (I know there are many more search engines, I just prefer mentioning the really known ones).
- She will type in “Buy boneless beef in Lagos” , or even more likely “where can I buy boneless beef in Ikeja Lagos”.
- So if you optimize for a localized term, you′ll get more visitors who want to get what you offer exactly where you offer it.
- What this means is that if your business location matters to you, what you must do is to, create keyword combinations with local places names.
- Once you have a good starting list of 20–40 words, use Keyword tools to refine it and see what people have actually searched for when looking for similar sites. Examples of keyword tools you can use are listed below:
How do search engine find keywords on your content page
Google has stated that having the keywords you focused on a webpage in the Keyword Meta tag on the coding of a website page is no longer a requirement.
But don’t leave the keywords and the tag out completely. They are still helpful on other search engines.
Google scans the actual relevant content that is on the web page and places more weight on the words placed in the Title tag and the description tag.
In fact so much weight is now given; you shouldn’t place anything other than a single keyword in the Title tag of each page or focus the page on more than one keyword. If Google is to rank your website well, you must be compatible with as many browsers and smart phones as possible.
Keyword Crawling in Keyword Research
As long as keywords appear to be on the web-page naturally and not an attempt to try and boost search engine rankings with lots of keyword stuffing.
Natural occurrence is where search engine algorithms look at your website page as well as how often your website is mentioned on the Internet.
It then compares this statistical information with the search engine algorithm to see if it is natural meaning it is about the average amount it should be seeing the keywords mentioned.
This means that a page will never show in the results of a search engine search without the keyword or keyword relevance showing up on the actual text of a page.
Meaning if you are targeting your page for “Dentist in Lagos Nigeria”, make sure the words are prominently displayed on the page in actual text.
If you have a website that is already ranked or you are over six months in to your SEO campaign you have to look at the keyword list from Google.
You can take in to account the amount of competition the keyword has and make better decisions on the keywords you can target.
If you have a high Google ranking for your website or web-page you can compete against pretty much whoever you want for the keywords that have a much higher competition score.
Considering Long Tail Keywords
Long tail keywords are keyword phrases that have at least two and some times as many as five descriptive words in the phrase.
Just like normal keywords, long tail keywords are used to define what is on the web page and what the searcher wants to more specifically find.
Long tail keywords are more specific, and tend to draw less but quality traffic for your business website, for keywords that have much less competition. Visitors to your website normally use long tail keywords to narrow down what they are searching for.
When a potential visitor to your website is looking for a plumber in Okota, Lagos, if he just searched for “plumber” he might get results from all over the country and not targeted to his local area.
He might then create a more refined long tail keyword search such as “plumber in Okota” or “where can I find a plumber in Okota?” to get more specific results.
Free Keywords Research Tools you can use for your keyword research
Google Planner is a good tool to identify higher volume keywords with monetary value. Keep in mind that it is in Google’s best interest to show these keywords to their advertisers so that they can spend money and get results with the right terms.
Google Analytics will reveal some important keyword data, particularly for higher volume search terms. Analyzing this data can give you ideas on what to write about.
Of a truth, Bing and Yahoo search are used significantly less than Google, but Bing keyword tool can still provide a few ideas for keywords and it is free to use. Yahoo and Bing do still get significant search volume (25-29% of search volume according to and they do provide real data from organic search so it is worth looking at. Despite Google’s dominance, Bing and Yahoo (which uses Bing search for its results) still get significant traffic.
SEM Rush is a competitor research tool that provides your competitors keywords and where they are ranking. The free version of the tool provides just a few keywords, but the paid version provides a lot more. Simply enter your competitor’s website (or your own) to see a list of keywords they are ranking for.
Now that you have your keywords or keyword phrases at hand, you need to follow the rules below:
- Make sure to use keyword research tool for your keyword research.
- Make sure to include your keyword in your headers (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5), especially header 1
- Make sure your keyword appears in the first 10 per cent test of your page content
- Make sure your keywords appear in your meta description
- Make sure your keywords appear in your title description
- Make sure your keywords appear at the last paragraph of your post or page content.
- Gently sprinkle your keywords in your post content. Ensuring it does not surpass two per cent of your content
- Make sure your keywords/ LSI are used in your images Alt descriptions.
Keyword Research 2021: The Exclusive guide to using keyword tools and doing keyword research the right way – The Conclusion
What to know more about keywords research, and all that is entailed in SEO, then read my post on How to optimize your website content for SEO to rank higher in Nigeria – The Ultimate Guide to Search Engine Optimization (2021).
Kindly let me know how you are implementing your keyword research and using the keywords research tools in the comment section. Kindly share, someone out there may need the information contained in this post. Need My Services, then click here.
Johnson Omoregie is an SEO specialist/Website Developer/ SEO Copywriter/Content Developer. He eats and sleeps Search Engine Optimization (SEO)/Digital Marketing. And help business generate leads and conversions through Organic Traffic. He is the author of Business Profit Blueprint: Million Dollar Tips To Promote Your Business And Increase Profit.